Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Field Visit

Date September 1924

Event ID 1087964

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1087964

This castle, which is situated about 2 ½ miles east of North Berwick, is built on one of the many small promontories which, at this part of the coast line, project into the Firth of Forth. The site has been chosen with a view to economical fortification and is the most suitable in the vicinity for this purpose. The castle may briefly be described as consisting of a great screen wall thrown across the promontory between points where the cliffs, rising sheer from the sea to an elevation of some 100 feet, are quite unscaleable and enclose to seaward an oblong area measuring 250 feet from north north-west to south-south-east by 150 feet from east-north-east to west-south-west.

[See RCAHMS 1924, pp.61-67, for a full description of the outworks and castle buildings, and a lengthy historical note].

RCAHMS 1924, visited June 1919; September 1924.

People and Organisations

References