Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication Account

Date 1929

Event ID 1036571

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1036571

NT17NE 18 18974 76847

NT 1897 7683

Cramond parish church, originally dedicated to St Columba, has been twice altered between 1891 and 1921, and is now mainly a modern structure. The tower, dating from the 15th century, is the oldest part remaining, but there appears to be 14th century masonry re-used in the main body of the church, which was rebuilt in 1656; the aisles were extended in 1701 and 1811, when the parapet was added to the tower.

A bronze ring, 3/8" broad and 3/4" in diameter, inscribed with Anglo-Saxon runes was found in 1870 3' below the surface when digging a grave near the oldest part of the church. It is now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS, Accession no: NJ 19).

RCAHMS 1929, visited 1921; G Stephens 1873; NMAS 1892

People and Organisations

References