Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling Castle, counter guard Detail of Queen Anne Battery Digital image of ST 898

SC 800299

Description Stirling Castle, counter guard Detail of Queen Anne Battery Digital image of ST 898

Date c. 1960

Catalogue Number SC 800299

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ST 898

Scope and Content Queen Anne Battery, Stirling Castle, Stirling, from south-east This view from the south-east, taken in about 1960, shows the south-west face of the section of the Queen Anne Battery which extends beyond the south wall of the outer defences. Like most of the rest of the outer defences, it was built between 1708 and 1714 to designs by Theodore Dury. The oldest surviving part of the castle dates from the late-14th century, and the palace constructed by James V is still largely intact. The Chapel Royal was added in 1594, and during the reign of Queen Anne the fortifications were upgraded (as seen here), in anticipation of a Jacobite uprising. Stirling Castle is strategically situated on the best route by land between lowland and highland Scotland, and the rock on which it sits has probably been inhabited since prehistoric times. It was both fortress and royal palace, and has some of the best of both types of architecture in Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800299

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions