Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

North Berwick, Tantallon Castle. General view from bridge with Bass Rock in background. Digital image of EL 1188

SC 800156

Description North Berwick, Tantallon Castle. General view from bridge with Bass Rock in background. Digital image of EL 1188

Date 1951

Catalogue Number SC 800156

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of EL 1188

Scope and Content Tantallon Castle, East Lothian, from south-south-east This view from the south-south-east, taken in 1951, shows the 14th-century curtain wall, with, in the foreground, a tower protecting the entrance to the area in front of the castle known as the bailey. On the right is the east tower, with the Bass Rock in the distance. This castle was a stronghold of the Douglas family, who had stormy relations with the Scottish monarchs. In 1529 it was surrendered to James V, who repaired and strengthened it. It was besieged by General Monk in 1651. It remained a residence until about 1699, and thereafter was used as a quarry. Now in the care of Historic Scotland, it is open to the public. Tantallon Castle stands on a promontory, surrounded on three sides by cliffs 30m high. The fourth side is protected by a massive curtain wall, built in the later 14th century, and altered in the 16th century, and by outer and inner dry ditches with a high inner bank and a low outer one. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800156

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions