Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view. Digital image of RE 1492.

SC 800109

Description Aerial view. Digital image of RE 1492.

Date 1972

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number SC 800109

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RE 1492

Scope and Content Aerial view of Newark Castle, Inverclyde This aerial view from the north-north-east, taken in 1872, shows the castle hemmed in by two shipbuilding yards, the Castle Yard of James Lamont & Co Ltd (left), and Ferguson Brothers (Port Glasgow) Ltd's yard (right). The access to the castle is the narrow lane between the two yards, on the west side of the castle. The original tower, remodelled with a tall parapet and flat roof, is to the rear and to the left of the 1597-9 block in this view. The symmetrical frontage is a very early example of this design in Scotland. Note the hulls of a stern-loading ferry and of a tug under construction on the right. Newark Castle was originally a tower-house built soon after 1478 by George Maxwell, son of John Maxwell of Calderwood in Lanarkshire. It was greatly extended in 1597-9 by Patrick Maxwell. One of his descendants sold the site of Port Glasgow to the Town Council of Glasgow in 1668. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800109

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions