Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arches at Jedburgh Abbey.

SC 799127

Description Arches at Jedburgh Abbey.

Date c. 1887

Collection Photographs by J Hay, photographer

Catalogue Number SC 799127

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RX 872

Scope and Content Jedburgh Abbey, Scottish Borders, from south-west This view from the south-west, taken in about 1887, shows three bays of the north side of the nave adjacent to the north transept. The caps of the columns are of the water-leaf pattern. The nave was probably completed in the late 12th century. The nave was used by the canons and by lay people. Jedburgh was less badly treated than the other Border abbey churches in the English raids of the later Middle Ages. After the Reformation the transepts and crossing became the parish church, and in 1671 this move into the nave. The vault of the crossing collapsed in 1743. Jedburgh Abbey was founded on the site of a 9th-century church in about 1138, when Augustinian Canons were brought over from France. The choir, crossing and transepts of the abbey church were complete by 1174. The nave had been built by 1220, and the original east end had been reconstructed by 1220. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/799127

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (J Hay Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions