Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Digital image of C 29811 CN

SC 798559

Description Digital image of C 29811 CN

Date 1994

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 798559

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 29811 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Dirleton Castle, Dirleton, East Lothian This aerial view, taken from the east-south-east in 1994, shows the castle with the 13th-century round tower, 'donjon', to the left, built on a rocky outcrop. Most of the rest of what can be seen dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. The wing on the right contains the great hall, with vaulted cellars below it. Dirleton Castle was besieged in 1650 by General Monk's army, and taken after artillery bombardment. It was superseded as a residence in 1663, by Archerfield House, and fell into ruin. It was consolidated after it was taken into State care (now Historic Scotland) in the 1920s, and is open to the public. Dirleton Castle occupies the site of a timber castle built in the late 12th century by the 1st baron de Vaux. It was rebuilt in stone in the later 13th century. The east range of this castle was much enlarged in the 14th and 15th centuries by the Halyburton family, and minor additions made in the 16th century by the Ruthvens. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798559

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions