Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior -looking N

SC 793782

Description Interior -looking N

Date c. 1965

Catalogue Number SC 793782

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of O 178

Scope and Content Interior, Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, from north Much of the ground floor of the interior of the palace dates to the 12th century. The upper part is a rebuilding, some of it dating to 1550, and some dating to 1600. The construction of the upper part is different from the lower part, the stones used varying much more in size. The 'Moosie Tooer' on the angle dates to 1550. This view of the palace from the north looks across to the tower of St Magnus Cathedral which was begun in 1137. With the cathedral in Kirkwall the bishop had to move there from Birsay where the first cathedral of the Northern Isles had been built in 1050. The Bishop's Palace is the oldest surviving example of domestic architecture in Kirkwall. It was begun in the 12th century, but was in ruins by 1320. It was reconstructed between 1541 and 1558. Alterations were made in 1600, but after 1614 it is likely the building was left to become a ruin. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/793782

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions