Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

General view from North-West, showing North Mill, Bell Mill. Digital image of AN 4344

SC 787430

Description General view from North-West, showing North Mill, Bell Mill. Digital image of AN 4344

Date 22/4/1980

Catalogue Number SC 787430

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AN 4344

Scope and Content North Mill and Bell Mill at Lower Dens Works, Princes Street, Dundee The building to the right is Bell Mill, which dates to 1866. The mill is five storeys in height plus an attic, and twelve by three bays wide. Constructed on an iron frame and built of rubble, the mill cost £11,373 to build. The bell-tower resembles those on the Santa Maria Della Salute, Venice, which was built in the 17th century. The adjoining building to the left is North Mill, which was designed by George Pyott and dates to 1935. Two storeys plus an attic in height, the mill has a rubble-built elevation onto Princes Street. Dundee was very dependent on the textile industry as a source of jobs in the 19th century. Most of the workers were females who were paid low wages, and several social problems arose as a result. However, Baxter's was unusual because it did employ many men. Within Dundee there were high levels of infant mortality, poor living conditions and not much trade union activity. The founder of the Baxters company, William Baxter (1766-1854), opened his first mill for spinning flax in 1822 in Lower Dens, Dundee. During the 19th century the company added other buildings to the complex, becoming the biggest manufacturers of linen in the world around 1840. They maintained this position for another 50 years. Due to the demise of the textile trade in Dundee many of the buildings were demolished in the 1980s. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/787430

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions