Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NNE showing NW front and N pylon

SC 779289

Description View from NNE showing NW front and N pylon

Date 26/3/1971

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 779289

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Suspension Footbridge (Greig Street Bridge), Church Lane, Inverness, Highland This shows the bridge from the south. The lattice girder pylons are founded on cast-iron caissons, and the deck is supported on light single Warren steel trusses, with wire grilles for safety. The bridge was built by the Rose Street Foundry, whose premises were nearby. This bridge, and the other 1881 bridge, Infirmary Bridge, were both overhauled in the 1990s, keeping largely to the original design. Inverness has four suspension bridges, the largest concentration of such bridges in Scotland. This was one of two long suspension footbridges built across the River Ness in Inverness in 1881, using the then-new technique of wire-rope suspension cables. At the time there was only one road bridge in Inverness, so these bridges offered welcome relief to pedestrians. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/71/19/34

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/779289

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 779289) View from NNE showing NW front and N pylon

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions