Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of stair in north porch. Digital image of ML 1808/29.

SC 769720

Description View of stair in north porch. Digital image of ML 1808/29.

Date c. 1960

Catalogue Number SC 769720

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ML 1808/29

Scope and Content Entrance Hall, Arniston House, Midlothian This shows the marble balustraded stair with cast metal torchieres (lamps in the form of flaming torches) which leads from the entrance to the saloon. The walls are ornamented with Ionic pilasters and richly moulded plasterwork. On the landing can be seen an ornately-carved wooden bench which would be used by guests waiting in the hall. This grand hallway is designed to impress the visitor with its lavish ornamentation and almost 'theatrical' stairway. Guests would be led into the reception rooms by the butler after taking off their travelling coats and cloaks in the hall. Arniston House, the seat of the Dundas family, was built in the Palladian style from 1726 onwards by architect William Adam (1689-1748) on the site of a c.1600 U-plan tower-house. His son John (1721-92) added the west wing and orangery in 1753. The house was further altered during the 19th century, and comprises a central three-storeyed block with flanking two-storeyed service pavilions joined to the main building by two-storeyed links. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/769720

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions