Scheduled Maintenance
Please be advised that this website will undergo scheduled maintenance on the following dates: •
Tuesday 3rd December 11:00-15:00
During these times, some services may be temporarily unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
View from WSW, looking up towards New Buildings, and the Belcote (previously situated on Mill No.1)
SC 755012
Description View from WSW, looking up towards New Buildings, and the Belcote (previously situated on Mill No.1)
Date 13/6/2002
Catalogue Number SC 755012
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of E 32556
Scope and Content New Buildings, New Lanark, South Lanarkshire, from west-south-west This shows part of the 13-bayed New Buildings which were built between 1798 and 1810. The projecting three central bays are surmounted with a pediment with an oculus window and a bellcote on a square plinth which was originally on Mill No 1 and moved in the mid-19th century. The leaded domed cupola of the bellcote is topped by a weathervane and is supported on tall, slender columns. The bell is dated 1786 and it is generally believed that it came to New Lanark with some Highlanders, who were about to sail to America with the bell, but became employees of David Dale instead. The New Buildings were originally built as homes for workers but, as Owen wanted to improve the morals of his workforce, he added halls on the upper floor. Religious services and Sunday schools were held in these halls until 1898 when a church was constructed. By 1903 the building contained flats, halls and a surgery. The block was restored after 1978. New Lanark was founded c.1785 by David Dale (1739-1806), a Glasgow merchant, and Richard Arkwright (1732-92), inventor of a water-frame for cotton spinning. Powered by water flowing from the Falls of Clyde the first cotton mill opened in 1786 and by 1799 the complex was the largest of its kind in Scotland. Robert Owen (1771-1858), who was married to David Dale's daughter, was one of a group who bought the mills in 1800. He transformed them into a model industrial community with good working conditions, houses, a non-profit store, a school and an institute for workers. Owen's partners bought the mills in 1828 and operated them until 1881 when another partnership took over. The Gourock Ropework Company ran the site until 1968 which is now mainly under the care of the New Lanark Conservation Trust (founded 1974-5). New Lanark was designated a World Heritage Site in 2001. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference Original: E32556
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/755012
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © RCAHMS
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]