Scheduled Maintenance
Please be advised that this website will undergo scheduled maintenance on the following dates: •
Tuesday 3rd December 11:00-15:00
During these times, some services may be temporarily unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Interior. View of first floor room, with gallery (after restoration)
E 32408 CN
Description Interior. View of first floor room, with gallery (after restoration)
Date 13/6/2002
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number E 32408 CN
Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images
Copies SC 754865
Scope and Content First-floor room, The Institute, New Lanark, South Lanarkshire This shows a restored room on the first floor of the New Institution for the Formation of Character, which was built between 1809 and 1816. The room is lined with wood to dado (shoulder) height and has an ornate ceiling rose. The wooden gallery is supported by columns and probably served as a musicians' gallery. The Institution cost £3,000 to build and was extremely important in allowing Robert Owen to develop his ideas on creating a harmonious society at New Lanark. He hoped that he could improve the morals of his adult workforce and make them aspire to a better standard of living. Originally the building was used as a school but it became the centre of the village as it was used as a religious meeting place, canteen, dance and concert hall. New Lanark was founded c.1785 by David Dale (1739-1806), a Glasgow merchant, and Richard Arkwright (1732-92), inventor of a water-frame for cotton spinning. Powered by water flowing from the Falls of Clyde the first cotton mill opened in 1786 and by 1799 the complex was the largest of its kind in Scotland. Robert Owen (1771-1858), who was married to David Dale's daughter, was one of a group who bought the mills in 1800. He transformed them into a model industrial community with good working conditions, houses, a non-profit store, a school and an institute for workers. Owen's partners bought the mills in 1828 and operated them until 1881 when another partnership took over. The Gourock Ropework Company ran the site until 1968 which is now mainly under the care of the New Lanark Conservation Trust (founded 1974-5). New Lanark was designated a World Heritage Site in 2001. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/753631
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Full
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]