Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

St Abb's Head fog signal renewal. Photographic copy of sections, plans and elevation of petrol store, oil store and oil forcing tank and plan of station. Sheet No.1

E 25909

Description St Abb's Head fog signal renewal. Photographic copy of sections, plans and elevation of petrol store, oil store and oil forcing tank and plan of station. Sheet No.1

Date 14/7/1934

Collection Records of the Northern Lighthouse Board, Edinburgh, Scotland

Catalogue Number E 25909

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copy of DC 28982

Copies SC 783953

Scope and Content Photographic copy of plans, elevations and sections of fog signal renewal, St Abb's Head Lighthouse, Scottish Borders This shows plans for updating the fog signal and generators in 1934. The plan of the station (right) shows the generator house and oil store next to the dwelling house, which allowed easy access for keepers, but must have been very noisy when in operation. Five chambers next to the path down to the lighthouse receive the compressed air which is transported down to the fog horn house beyond the lighthouse via a long tube. The plans, sections and elevations on the left illustrate the oil store, forcing tank and generator room. The earliest fog warning signals were bells on cliff-tops rung to warn mariners during fog. These were superseded by fog horns, with a note produced by forcing compressed air produced by a generator through a diaphragm, with the signal itself controlled by a clockwork mechanism and weight. Mariners would recognise the signal by its musical note and the length of time between blasts. Later lighthouses were fitted with electronic fog detectors and electric horns. St Abb's Head Lighthouse was built in 1862 to designs by engineers David (1815-86) and Thomas Stevenson (1818-87). The squat tower on its single-storeyed base is surmounted by a triangular-paned lantern with domed top, and stands in a dramatic cliff-top position overlooking the North Sea near Coldingham. The complex also includes a foghorn on a single-storeyed base, and a two-storeyed, M-gabled four-bayed cottage which was used for keepers' accommodation. The light was automated in 1993, and the keepers' houses were adapted for use as holiday homes in 1999. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Accession Number 1996/3

External Reference C/68/36

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/743955

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 165) Records of the Northern Lighthouse Board, Edinburgh, Scotland

Batch Level (551 165/62) St Abb's Head

>> Item Level (E 25909) St Abb's Head fog signal renewal. Photographic copy of sections, plans and elevation of petrol store, oil store and oil forcing tank and plan of station. Sheet No.1

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution & Restricted Use Summary

Attribution: © Copyright: Northern Lighthouse Board. Courtesy of HES.

Licence Type: Limited

You may solely view this material on the Canmore Site. No other use is permitted.

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions