Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of south terracing of Tynecastle Stadium, Edinburgh from north east. Digital image of C 14222 CN

SC 738780

Description View of south terracing of Tynecastle Stadium, Edinburgh from north east. Digital image of C 14222 CN

Date 5/1993

Catalogue Number SC 738780

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 14222 CN

Scope and Content South terracing from north-east, Heart of Midlothian Football Club, Tynecastle Park Stadium, Gorgie Road, Edinburgh Tynecastle Park is the home ground of Heart of Midlothian (Hearts) Football Club. The club was formed in 1874 and took its name from a dance hall in the city's Royal Mile. It was also the name of Edinburgh's former tolbooth or prison. Hearts, also known as 'the Jam Tarts', have played on this Tynecastle site since 1886. This shows the former south terracing, now the Gorgie Stand, off Gorgie Road, completed in the late 1990s. In the four years following the club's purchase of Tynecastle Park in 1926, work was carried out building up the terraces using ash from the engine sheds at Haymarket Station. In the years following Wallace Mercer's appointment as Chairman of Hearts in 1981, some £500,000 was spent carrying out safety work at the ground. New seating brought the stadium's spectator capacity down from a maximum of 49,000 to 29,000. More recent renovation has reduced this further to 18,000. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions