Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of Gorgie Road entrance. Digital image of C 14208 CN

SC 738777

Description Detail of Gorgie Road entrance. Digital image of C 14208 CN

Date 5/1993

Catalogue Number SC 738777

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 14208 CN

Scope and Content Detail of Gorgie Road entrance, Heart of Midlothian Football Club, Tynecastle Park Stadium, Gorgie Road, Edinburgh Tynecastle Park Stadium is home to Heart of Midlothian Football Club, known as 'Hearts' or 'the Jam Tarts', one of two major football clubs in Edinburgh. Hearts moved to Gorgie in 1881, opening the present ground in 1886. The stadium is decorated in the club's maroon and white colours, also worn by the players. This shows the former Gorgie Road entrance, now demolished. As part of a major programme of renovation, a new Gorgie Stand was completed in the late 1990s. In 1932, 53,496 spectators, most standing on terracing, watched a cup tie at Tynecastle. Capacity in the new all-seater stadium has dropped to 18,000. When Hearts moved to Tynecastle in 1881, it was considered an 'out of town' ground. Prices were low at 3d a game and women were allowed in for free. By 1993 prices had risen to £6 per adult and £3 per child. Now Tynecastle has become part of central Edinburgh and prices for adults vary from £14 to £20. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions