Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of dining room, Central Hotel, Glasgow

SC 694831

Description View of dining room, Central Hotel, Glasgow

Date 1906

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 694831

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 19460/18

Scope and Content Dining Room, Central Station Hotel, No 99 Gordon Street, Glasgow, from the south The Central Station Hotel, built in 1882-4 by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson for the Caledonian Railway Company, was extended in 1900-5 by James Miller. The magnificent dining room, part of Miller's extension, was photographed in 1906 by Harry Bedford Lemere. The dining room occupies the first- and second-floor levels of the extension, with a double row of Italianate windows to the west. It has a plaster-panelled ceiling and woodwork to door height, and an alcove with a minstrel's gallery at the far end. In 1900-5 the Caledonian Railway Company doubled the size of their Central Station in order to cope with the sheer volume of travellers, and appointed James Miller to extend the hotel into Hope Street, enveloping some of the new platforms to the west. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/694831

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions