Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Adjacent building, view from south-east

E 5946 CN

Description Adjacent building, view from south-east

Date 31/7/2001

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number E 5946 CN

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 797015

Scope and Content Depot and Bridge No 23, Drumshoreland, Union Canal, West Lothian, from south-east This shows the building which is constructed adjoining Bridge No 23, which was designed by Baird and built around 1820. An oculus (normally circular in this case, eye-shaped window) is above the small voussoir (arch formed with wedge-shaped blocks) which surmounts the doorway. The canal front has a bricked-up opening which may originally have been a hatch which gave access into a store area of the building. Two further oculi windows are on the upper level. This building may originally have been used to store tow ropes or other apparatus that was needed on the canal. It may also have been a building where cargo could have been safely stored overnight from barges docked in the adjoining basin. The canal ranger and the British Waterways now have offices beside this bridge. The government authorised the construction of the Union Canal in 1817 and appointed Hugh Baird (1770-1827) as the chief engineer. The main purpose of the canal was to provide an economical route for the transportation of coal and lime between Edinburgh and Glasgow via the Forth & Clyde Canal (1768-90). The 51km-long canal was opened in 1822 at a cost of £461,760, almost double the estimate, and it ran from Lock 16 at Camelon, Falkirk to Fountainbridge, Edinburgh. Except where the two canals are joined at Falkirk, the canal was built with no locks because it followed the contours of the hills. The Union Canal was closed in 1965, two years after the Forth & Clyde Canal, and the construction of new roads meant that it was impossible for boats to travel along the full length of these watercourses. However, the £84.5m Millennium Link project enabled both canals to reopen in 2002. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/692630

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions