Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Exterior view of Jenners from south east.

SC 678397

Description Exterior view of Jenners from south east.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678397

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13290/A

Scope and Content View from south-east of Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners, designed in 1893-5 by the architect, William Hamilton Beattie, was, when it opened in 1895, one of the largest department stores in Britain. This photograph of the exterior was taken in 1895 by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The store, a six-storeyed building with a seven-storeyed corner tower with flying buttresses, was built on ground sloping south to Princes Street. Above the arcaded ground floor, with its huge plate glass windows, are a series of paired female figures. The original Jenners department store opened in 1838 in converted houses on the present site. These burned down in 1892, and this replacement building was technically quite advanced, being fireproof with an iron and steel frame and granolithic floors. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678397

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions