Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of the haberdashery department in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

SC 678395

Description View of the haberdashery department in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678395

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13287

Scope and Content Haberdashery Department, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners, designed in 1893-5 by the architect, William Hamilton Beattie, was photographed in 1895 when the store opened by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. This picture shows a section of the haberdashery department on the ground floor. The department has glass-topped counters displaying dress accessories and sewing-goods, and is lit by electric light fittings with china lampshades. The chairs, each monogrammed with 'C J', may have been carefully positioned for customers. Jenners, founded in 1838 by Charles Jenner, opened in 1895 after fire destroyed the original building on the present site in 1892. It was one of the 'wonders of Edinburgh' with over 60 departments lit by electric lights and served by hydraulic lifts. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678395

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions