Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of the hall at Jenner's Department, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

SC 678392

Description View of the hall at Jenner's Department, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678392

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13285

Scope and Content Hall, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners, designed in 1893-5 by William Hamilton Beattie, was, when it opened in 1895, one of the largest department stores in Britain. This view of the interior, taken in 1895 by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere, shows its magnificent top-lit Hall. This three-storeyed Hall, with consoled and elaborately carved timber galleries, rises the full height of the building. Timber strapwork stairs rise from the fabrics department on the ground floor to other departments on the galleries above. The original Jenners department store on the site burned down in 1892 with a loss of goods valued at £250,000. Much was made of the replacement building's fireproof structure, with iron columns and steel beams carrying granolithic floors. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678392

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions