Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of the fabrics hall in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

SC 678391

Description View of the fabrics hall in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678391

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13284

Scope and Content Fabrics Hall, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh This view of the Fabrics Hall of Jenners department store was photographed in 1895 by the distinguished Victorian photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. Jenners, owned by Charles Jenner & Company, was one of the largest department stores in Britain. The Fabrics Hall, on the ground floor of a magnificent top-lit galleried saloon rising the full height of the building, specialised in prints, muslins, calicoes and napery. The chairs have the store monogram 'C J' worked into their back rails. This photograph, taken with Lemere's standard 12 by 10 stand camera with glass plate negatives, was one of several taken of the store, and forms one of the few, well-defined records of the interior of a late 19th-century department store now extant. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678391

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions