Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of the fabrics department in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

SC 678389

Description View of the fabrics department in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678389

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13282

Scope and Content Fabrics Hall, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners department store, designed in 1893-5 by William Hamilton Beattie, opened in 1895 as one of the largest department stores in Britain. This view across the fabrics hall was taken in 1895 by the distinguished photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The Fabrics Hall occupied the ground floor of a magnificent top-lit saloon rising the full height of the building, with a grand strapwork staircase leading to the galleries above. The stands (right) display a selection of prints, muslins and calicoes. Jenners, founded in 1838 by Charles Jenner and Charles Kennington, became known in 1895 as Charles Jenner & Company. The chairs, both here and elsewhere in the building, have the store monogram 'C J' worked into their back rails. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678389

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions