Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior, view of millinery department.

SC 678385

Description Interior, view of millinery department.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678385

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13263/A

Scope and Content Millinery Department, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners, designed in 1893-5 by William Hamilton Beattie, was, when it opened in 1895, one of the largest department stores in Britain. This view of the millinery department was taken in 1895 by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The millinery department, lined with glass-fronted display cabinets containing an array of feathered hats, gives the impression of an exotic aviary. Wooden counters display straw boaters (left) and individual brass stands show more fanciful hats. This photograph of the millinery department was one of several taken in 1895 by Lemere of the interior of Jenners. His collection forms one of the few well-defined and extensive records of the interior of a late 19th-century department store now extant. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678385

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions