Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior, view of women's fashion department.

SC 678382

Description Interior, view of women's fashion department.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678382

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13261/A

Scope and Content Women's Fashion Department, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Charles Jenner & Company, founded by in 1838 by Charles Jenner and Charles Kennington, opened its new Princess Street department store in 1895. This view of the women's fashion department was photographed in 1895 by Harry Bedford Lemere. This huge department was filled with dresses, gowns and mantles for day and evening wear displayed on mannequins, or hung on brass rails and within display cabinets. The potted aspidistra plant was a popular addition to Victorian interiors. Charles Jenner came to Edinburgh as a linen draper, and with Charles Kennington, set up a drapery business in 1838. Finding the women in Edinburgh 'among the least fashionable in the Kingdom', he determined to make them the best dressed ladies in Britain. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678382

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions