Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior, view of women's fashion department.

SC 678381

Description Interior, view of women's fashion department.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678381

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13261

Scope and Content Women's Fashion Department, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners, designed in 1893-5 by William Hamilton Beattie, was, when it opened in 1895, one of the largest department stores in Britain. This view of the women's fashion department was taken in 1895 by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The women's fashion department, lit by electric light fittings with china lampshades, one of the new technologies of the time, offered a huge range of garments, including mantles (loose sleeveless cloaks), blouses and dresses for day and evening wear. Jenners was founded by Charles Jenner, a linen draper who, along with Charles Kennington, set up a drapery business in 1838. Jenner, who had an eye for style, quickly determined to make the women of Edinburgh the 'best dressed ladies in the Kingdom'. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678381

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions