Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The original tea room in Jenners Department Store in Edinburgh.

SC 678374

Description The original tea room in Jenners Department Store in Edinburgh.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678374

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13275

Scope and Content Tea Room, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners, built in 1893-5 by William Hamilton Beattie, was, when it opened in 1895, one of the largest department stores in Britain. This view of the store's stylish tea room was taken in 1895 by the distinguished photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The design of the tea room combines a number of styles, including a Jacobean ceiling, miniature Ionic columns, and a screen with Alhambra-style 'Moorish' piercings. The chairs have the store monogram 'C J' worked into their back rails. Jenners department store, founded by Charles Jenner, was carefully designed as a place where unaccompanied ladies could respectably congregate without damage to their reputation. The tea room became their popular meeting place. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678374

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions