Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior, view of fancy goods department.

SC 678368

Description Interior, view of fancy goods department.

Date 1895

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 678368

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13267

Scope and Content Fancy Goods Department, Jenners Department Store, Nos 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners, designed in 1893-5 by Sir William Hamilton Beattie, was, when it opened in 1895, one of the 'wonders of Edinburgh'. This view of the store's fancy goods department was taken in 1895 by the distinguished photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The fancy goods department, lit by electric light fittings, one of the new technologies of the time, displayed a huge range of goods including chairs, picture frames, paper racks, fire screens, picnic boxes and a profusion of Oriental lacquered work. Jenners, founded in 1838 by Charles Jenner and Charles Kennington in converted houses on the present site, was rebuilt after a fire in 1892. The huge new store had over 60 departments including ladies' fashions, haberdashery, china, furniture and carpets. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/678368

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions