Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Muirkirk Ironworks View from W showing engine house

SC 602594

Description Muirkirk Ironworks View from W showing engine house

Date 3/10/1967

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 602594

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Muirkirk Iron Works, Muirkirk, East Ayrshire This works was founded in 1786 to make pig iron from the ore, coal and limestone from the upper valley of the River Ayr. It was developed to make malleable iron and iron castings. In 1857 it was taken over and modernised by the Eglinton Iron Co. It was again re-equipped in the late 19th century. This shows the remains of the works from the north-west. The building was the house for a vertical blowing engine of the Eglinton Iron Co period. Behind it is the furnace bank, in front of which the furnaces were ranged, and from the top of which they were charged. The iron works closed in 1921, during the miners' strike of that year, and did not reopen. The furnaces were dismantled in the 1930s, and the furnace bank and engine house were demolished in 1968. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H67/374/1B

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/602594

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 602594) Muirkirk Ironworks View from W showing engine house

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions