Cupar, Station Road, Station and Associated Buildings View looking NNE showing part of awning of main station building
SC 595556
Description Cupar, Station Road, Station and Associated Buildings View looking NNE showing part of awning of main station building
Date 18/7/1967
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 595556
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Cupar Station, Station Road, Cupar, Fife This railway station was built in 1847 by the Edinburgh & Northern Railway to serve the county town of Fife, and was designed, probably by David Bell, architect, on a lavish scale and in the Italianate style fashionable for railway buildings in the 1840s. This shows the north-bound platform from the railway side, looking north-east. The cast iron columns supporting the solid-roofed awning have lotus capitals in an Egyptian manner. The space between the tracks was at one time occupied by a loop line. This is the finest surviving pre-1850 railway station in Scotland. The goods facilities included a granary and coal drops, both now converted into offices. The south-bound platform is reached by a three-arched overbridge with a segregated footpath for passengers. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H67/307/1A
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/595556
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]