Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West House. View from South.

SC 564998

Description West House. View from South.

Catalogue Number SC 564998

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 4957/9

Scope and Content The Royal Edinburgh Hospital (West House), Tipperlin Road, Morningside, Edinburgh, from the south The Royal Edinburgh Hospital, originally known as West House, was designed by William Burn in 1839 to supplement the old East House asylum, which opened in 1809, and to accommodate the 'pauper lunatics' of Edinburgh and Leith. The three-storeyed H-plan hospital stands within extensive wooded grounds. Its south range of buildings has a three-bayed centrepiece with Venetian windows, and wings with small-paned sash windows, often with an iron grille of the same pattern behind. The East House asylum was restricted to patients who could afford to pay its fees. The new West House, which opened in 1842 under the patronage of Queen Victoria, could accommodate up to 400 'pauper patients' who were unable to pay fees. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/564998

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions