Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Poltalloch House General view of west re-entrant and conservatory

SC 558813

Description Poltalloch House General view of west re-entrant and conservatory

Catalogue Number SC 558813

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 12893

Scope and Content View of Poltalloch House from the west, Argyll and Bute This Jacobean-style mansion, now a roofless shell, was built for Neill Malcolm between 1849 and 1853 to designs produced in the London office of William Burn (1789-1870). Burn himself staked out the proposed outline of the building in 1845. The principal rooms occupied the south and west fronts of the house. The two-storeyed rectangular canted bay window (centre) with the shaped gable belongs to the drawing room. The one-storeyed canted bay (right) is that of the library. The single-storeyed conservatory to the left originally had a glazed roof with light iron ceiling ribs. It has mullion-and-transom windows and panelled quoins similar to those on the main building. Its cornice was surmounted by Classical urns. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/558813

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions