Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Poltalloch House General view from south

SC 558812

Description Poltalloch House General view from south

Catalogue Number SC 558812

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 12892

Scope and Content View of south front of Poltalloch House, Argyll and Bute This Jacobean-style mansion, now a roofless shell, was built for Neill Malcolm between 1849 and 1853 to designs produced in the London office of William Burn (1789-1870). Burn himself staked out the proposed outline of the building in 1845. The principal rooms occupied the south and west fronts. The apartments at each end of the south front had two-storeyed canted bay windows with flat roofs and strapwork parapets, backed by shaped gables, decorated with the letter 'M' in relief. William Burn (1789-1870) initiated the Scottish Baronial style for Scottish country houses. His earliest commissions were Grecian-style public buildings, but by 1818 he was designing four country houses per year. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/558812

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions