View from SW across courtyard of lightkeepers' houses.
C 19653 CN
Description View from SW across courtyard of lightkeepers' houses.
Date 28/7/1993
Catalogue Number C 19653 CN
Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images
Copies SC 684162
Scope and Content Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray, Western Isles, from south-west This view shows the courtyard and the keepers' houses at Barra Head Lighthouse, built to designs by Robert Stevenson (1772-1850) in 1833. The houses are single-storeyed and flat-roofed with sash windows. Keepers' houses were built some distance from the lighthouse tower as it was thought dust from fires might affect the lighting apparatus. Born in Glasgow, Robert Stevenson began work for Thomas Smith, Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, in 1791, and by 1797 he had become the Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board himself. He went on to design 18 lighthouses, including Barra Head. Berneray, on which the Barra Head Lighthouse is situated, is the most southerly of several small islands to the south of the island of Barra. The islands are often known as the Bishop's Isles, as in medieval times they belonged to the Bishop of Man and Sodor. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Medium Colour negative
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/55835
Attribution: © RCAHMS
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]