Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SW across courtyard of lightkeepers' houses, photographed 28 July 1993

SC 684162

Description View from SW across courtyard of lightkeepers' houses, photographed 28 July 1993

Date 1993

Catalogue Number SC 684162

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 19653 CN

Scope and Content Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray, Western Isles, from south-west This view shows the courtyard and the keepers' houses at Barra Head Lighthouse, built to designs by Robert Stevenson (1772-1850) in 1833. The houses are single-storeyed and flat-roofed with sash windows. Keepers' houses were built some distance from the lighthouse tower as it was thought dust from fires might affect the lighting apparatus. Born in Glasgow, Robert Stevenson began work for Thomas Smith, Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, in 1791, and by 1797 he had become the Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board himself. He went on to design 18 lighthouses, including Barra Head. Berneray, on which the Barra Head Lighthouse is situated, is the most southerly of several small islands to the south of the island of Barra. The islands are often known as the Bishop's Isles, as in medieval times they belonged to the Bishop of Man and Sodor. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/684162

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions