Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Redford House, lodge Detail of Drummond Scrolls

SC 548588

Description Redford House, lodge Detail of Drummond Scrolls

Catalogue Number SC 548588

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 32979/5

Scope and Content The Lodge (Drummond Scrolls), Redford House, Redford Road, Colinton, Edinburgh The Lodge, which lies just within the gates of Redford House, was built in 1884 by the then owner, Robert Andrew Macfie of Dreghorn, from parts of the frontispiece of Edinburgh's Old Royal Infirmary which had been demolished earlier that year. This massive leafy scroll, from the attic storey of the Old Infirmary, depicts the thistle of Scotland. Behind, Ionic pilasters and a niche with an inscription, 'GEORGIUS II REX', also from the main frontage, were built into the west wall of the lodge. The niche on the west wall of the lodge is empty, and the statue of King George II that it once contained now stands in the forecourt of the present Royal Infirmary at Lauriston. The king was depicted in Roman dress by the sculptor, James Hill, in 1755. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions