Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of Drumsheugh Baths, Belford Road, Edinburgh.

SC 533192

Description General view of Drumsheugh Baths, Belford Road, Edinburgh.

Collection Scottish National Buildings Record

Catalogue Number SC 533192

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 1026

Scope and Content Drumsheugh Baths, Belford Road, Dean, Edinburgh The Drumsheugh Baths, designed by John J Burnet in 1882, have a distinctly Moorish flavour. The building presents a rather squat profile to Belford Road, but incorporates three separate floors on the steeply falling north side facing the Water of Leith. The Moorish façade of the baths is deeply shadowed under a low-pitch stone-bracketed roof. The front has three grilled windows in horseshoe arches, with a fourth as the doorway. The stone shafts between the grills have beautifully carved capitals. The baths cost £11,000 to construct and opened in 1884. The main bath, with an open timber roof, is at a much lower level, and has a mezzanine gallery for access to hot and cold baths, a diving niche, and a Turkish bath. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/533192

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES (Scottish National Buildings Record)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions