Jura Distillery General view from NE showing ENE front
SC 489069
Description Jura Distillery General view from NE showing ENE front
Date 12/5/1976
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 489069
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Isle of Jura Distillery, Craighouse, Jura, Argyll This distillery is said to have been founded in 1810, but the first documented reference to it is in 1831. It was rebuilt In 1876, but appears to have been abandoned during the First World War. It was rebuilt in 1960-3. This view shows the distillery from the north east. The three-storey office block on the right, and the single-storey warehouse in front of it are probably of the 1876 period; the other buildings date from the 1960s rebuilding. This is the only distillery on the Isle of Jura, and is situated close to the only steamer pier on the island, built in the 1880s to serve the distillery, but replaced in 1952 by a long steel and concrete structure. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H76/86/8
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/489069
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]