Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of Canongate Church from South South West, also showing Burgh Cross in front of church and Nelson's Monument behind.

SC 488199

Description View of Canongate Church from South South West, also showing Burgh Cross in front of church and Nelson's Monument behind.

Collection H D Wyllie

Catalogue Number SC 488199

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of ED 3251

Scope and Content The Canongate Kirk, Canongate, Edinburgh The Canongate Kirk, parish church of the Canongate, was built in 1688 by James Smith at the instigation of James VII from money left to the Crown by a rich merchant, Thomas Moodie. The arms of Thomas Moodie appear above an inscribed tablet over the Doric portico. Above the circular window are the carved Royal Arms of William III. The emblem of the Canongate, a stag's head, cross and antlers, appears on top of the gable. In 1687 James VII converted the nave of Holyrood Abbey from the parish church for the burgh of Canongate into a chapel for the Order of the Thistle. Money left to the Crown from Thomas Moodie was used to build a new parish church for the Canongate. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/488199

Collection Hierarchy - Collection Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (H D Wyllie Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions