Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Statue (no.47 on plan), view from South.

D 59664 CN

Description Statue (no.47 on plan), view from South.

Date 1/4/1999

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number D 59664 CN

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 757589

Scope and Content Statue from south, Drummond Castle, Perth & Kinross This shows a late 18th-early 19th-century white marble sculpture of a lady in draped Classical-style robes. She wears a garland of flowers in her hair, and carries a nest with two birds (now damaged). She may represent Spring, as she wears and carries symbols of rebirth. In the background is a symmetrical arrangement of topiary. Classical statuary within gardens and inside the homes of the wealthy indicated that the host was educated and had taste and style. Young men on the Grand Tour of Europe would bring back souvenirs of their travels in the form of statues, jewellery and sculpture in the Classical style. Drummond Castle was built c.1490, but the complex of buildings visible today consist of a gatehouse which was added in 1630-6 by architect John Mylne III (1611-67) and an L-plan mansion built for the 4th Earl of Perth in 1689. The mansion was extended in the 18th or early 19th century, and remodelled in Baronial style into its present form by architect G T Ewing in 1878 and 1900. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/486195

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions