Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The Mound. Photographic copy of proposed ground plan, including Arcade on the Mound. Titled: 'Plate No.3 Ground Plan'.

SC 466233

Description The Mound. Photographic copy of proposed ground plan, including Arcade on the Mound. Titled: 'Plate No.3 Ground Plan'.

Catalogue Number SC 466233

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 39880 P

Scope and Content Part of Alexander Trotter's early 19th century plan for improving The Mound, Edinburgh The Mound is a causeway across the valley between the Old and New Towns, formed from some two million cartloads of earth and rubbish that had been tipped out by contractors during the building of the New Town between 1781 and 1830. Alexander Trotter's plan included levelling the area behind the Royal Scottish Academy for a building for shops, and constructing a road to the Old Town that passed to the north side of the Bank of Scotland and entered High Street opposite St Giles. This plan was opposed by the architect Thomas Hamilton, who, in turn, proposed the route to High Street now in current use - round the south side of the Bank of Scotland into Bank Street. He argued that his route, although steeper, was much cheaper. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/466233

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions