Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of entrance doorway showing carved stonework and wrought iron gates. Jenners, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

SC 466178

Description Detail of entrance doorway showing carved stonework and wrought iron gates. Jenners, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

Date c. 1900

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 466178

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13291

Scope and Content Entrance to Jenners department store, Princes Street, Edinburgh Jenners, on the corner of St David Street, was designed by Sir William Hamilton Beattie in 1893-5. This enormous pink stone building with Renaissance undertones, was, at the time of opening, one of the biggest department stores in Britain. The entrance from Princes Street shows some of the Baroque detail of the building, with paired figures and strapwork. The construction of Jenners was the first large redevelopment for a department store in Edinburgh. It was followed by the Professional and Civil Service building at No 80 George Street (1903), and R W Forsyth's in Princes Street (1906). Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/466178

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions