Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

The remains of burnt out buildings on the site of Jenners Department Store, South St David Street, Edinburgh.

SC 466176

Description The remains of burnt out buildings on the site of Jenners Department Store, South St David Street, Edinburgh.

Date 1892

Catalogue Number SC 466176

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 34203

Scope and Content Jenners department store, Princes Street, Edinburgh Late 19th century view of the burnt-out buildings on the site Princes Street was originally the south-facing terrace of James Craig's New Town. From the 1830s, Victorian reconstruction transformed the street into Edinburgh's principal thoroughfare of hotels, department stores, shops, offices and clubs. This shows the scene of destruction after a fire in 1892 destroyed a shop converted from the original 18th-century Georgian houses on the corner of Princes Street and St David's Street. Jenners department store was built on this corner site in 1893-5. As a result of the fire that destroyed the previous building, much was made of its fire-proof structure of iron columns and steel beams carrying 'Stuart's Granolithic' fireproof flooring. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Accession Number 1994/34

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/466176

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions