Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of the sales floor for gloves and lace in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

SC 466078

Description View of the sales floor for gloves and lace in Jenner's Department Store, Princes Street, Edinburgh.

Date c. 1900

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 466078

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 13288

Scope and Content Jenners department store, No 47-52 Princes Street, Edinburgh Late 19th century view of the interior Jenners, on the corner of St David Street, was designed by Sir William Hamilton Beattie in 1893-5. This enormous pink stone building with Renaissance undertones, was, at the time of opening, one of the biggest department stores in Britain. The haberdashery department was on the ground floor of the store, with access directly from Princes Street. The stairs lead up to a large top-lit galleried salon at the back. Jenners, built on six-storeys, was one of the biggest department stores of its day, supplying everything from clothes, millinery and haberdashery, to household furniture, carpets and china. It is often referred to as the 'Harrods of Edinburgh'. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/466078

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions