Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Holyrood Park, St Anthony's Chapel and Hermitage Engraving showing ruins of St Anthony's Chapel Copied from 'Modern Athens'. Insc. 'Ruins of St. Anthony's Chapel, Edinburgh. Drawn by T H Sh ...

SC 465104

Description Edinburgh, Holyrood Park, St Anthony's Chapel and Hermitage Engraving showing ruins of St Anthony's Chapel Copied from 'Modern Athens'. Insc. 'Ruins of St. Anthony's Chapel, Edinburgh. Drawn by T H Shepherd. Engraved by S Lacey'

Catalogue Number SC 465104

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 49698 P

Scope and Content St Anthony's Chapel, Holyrood Park, Edinburgh St Anthony's Chapel was built in the 15th century and is recorded as having been repaired in 1426. The last record of a chaplain is in 1581. Since then it has been a popular place to visit both through the 19th century and today. This is an unusual view, taken from the north side of the ruins, but most of the structure shown is recognisable today, though it has been tidied and consolidated. The sheep, once a familiar sight in Holyrood Park, were removed in the 1970s. Although it is now known for sport and relaxation, Holyrood Park has not always been so. Farming was important for many centuries, as was quarrying, and it was only in the 19th century that the Park took on the recreational role that we know today. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/465104

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions