Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

View of North East entrance bridge showing Victorian canopy.

SC 457777

Description View of North East entrance bridge showing Victorian canopy.

Catalogue Number SC 457777

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 7877

Scope and Content View of north-east entrance bridge at Inveraray Castle, Argyll and Bute Inveraray Castle, a good example of early Gothic Revival style, was begun in 1745 to designs by the architect Roger Morris (1695-1749). He also designed the north-east bridge which was built by George Hunter (d.1787) in 1755-6. Sir Digby Wyatt (1820-77), architect, designed a porch in glass and iron to celebrate the marriage of Princess Louise to the Marquess of Lorne. The porch with its sloping roof is reminiscent of Wyatt's work on Paddington Railway Station, London. In 1771 the parapet openings were infilled and the finials were removed from the piers at the sides of the stairs to allow the canopy to be constructed. The quatrefoil motif on Morris's bridge has been reflected in Wyatt's canopy. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/457777

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions