Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

View of North West side of South West entrance bridge.

SC 457773

Description View of North West side of South West entrance bridge.

Catalogue Number SC 457773

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 7867

Scope and Content View of north-west side of south-west entrance bridge at Inveraray Castle, Argyll and Bute Inveraray Castle, a good example of early Gothic Revival style, was begun in 1745 to designs by the architect Roger Morris (1695-1749). The architect John Vanbrugh (1664-1726) and Dugald Campbell, a military engineer (d.1757), may have provided ideas. The south-west bridge was designed by Morris and built in 1755-6 by George Hunter (d.1787) with minor variations from Morris's plan. The bridge, designed as the principal entrance to the castle, now leads from the private garden into the saloon. The parapet along the top of the bridge surmounts a corbel-table (the line of projecting blocks) of continuous arches. The parapets themselves consist of two zones of openwork cusped trefoils supporting moulded handrails. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/457773

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions