Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from South.

SC 457768

Description View from South.

Date 1985

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 457768

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 7853 CN

Scope and Content View of Inveraray Castle from the south, Argyll and Bute Archibald, 3rd Duke of Argyll, who succeeded to the title in 1743, was responsible for replacing the 15th-century Inveraray Castle with the present castle. He also initiated the removal of the town of Inveraray 0.6km south to a new site. After a fire in 1877 the architect, Anthony Salvin (1799-1881) added an attic storey with dormer windows and put conical roofs and Jacobean-style chimneys on the angle-towers. The castle was also renovated by Ian Lindsay & Partners after a fire in 1975. The new castle, a good example of early Gothic Revival style, was begun in 1745 to designs by the architect Roger Morris (1695-1749). The architect John Vanbrugh (1664-1726) and Dugald Campbell, a military engineer (d.1757), may have provided ideas. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/457768

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 1) RCAHMS

> Item Level (SC 457768) View from South.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions