Edinburgh, Slateford Aquaduct Detailed view along W face
SC 451646
Description Edinburgh, Slateford Aquaduct Detailed view along W face
Date 4/10/1974
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 451646
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Slateford Aqueduct, Union Canal, Midlothian This canal was designed by Hugh Baird to link Edinburgh to the Forth & Clyde Canal at Camelon. The Slateford aqueduct is one of three long aqueducts over river valleys on the route of the canal. This view shows the eight semicircular masonry arches of the aqueduct, over the Water of Leith. The canal is carried in a cast iron trough, supported on longitudinal internal walls. Note the buttresses to give lateral strength. The canal had a short life as an important means of transport, as it was to a large extent superseded by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, opened in 1842. The railway company bought the canal in 1847. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H74/242/2
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/451646
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]