Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Congan's Church, Turriff. Watercolour copy of wall-painting of St Ninian.

SC 447503

Description St Congan's Church, Turriff. Watercolour copy of wall-painting of St Ninian.

Catalogue Number SC 447503

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 18142 CN

Scope and Content Wall-painting of St Ninian, St Congan's Old Parish Church, Turriff, Aberdeenshire During demolition of part of the ruined church in 1861, workmen discovered this wall-painting. Although the original could not be saved, during the few days it survived a detailed record was made of it, including this watercolour. The Aberdeen lithographer James Gibb made this copy. It is a rare example of the decoration which once enlivened the walls of medieval churches, much of which was destroyed during the religious disturbances of the 16th and 17th centuries. Part of the medieval church of St Congan's still survives. It was an unusually long and narrow church. The tower at the east end is capped with a richly carved double bell-cote which dates to 1635 with a bell dating to 1556. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/447503

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions